What do I want my new device to be able to do?
It is useful to write a list of everything you want to do with the device, not only now, but perhaps 2 years in the future.
This is not an exhaustive list but it might serve as a helpful prompt.
· Type and print homework;
· Listen to soft copy: text books, notes, webpages, etc;
· Take photographs of the board;
· Take a photograph of a worksheet to then use a scan & text to speech solution;
· Type notes in class;
· Record notes in class;
· Dictate notes/homework;
· Work on a programme to improve literacy, for example Nessy, Lexia Core 5 and Units of Sound;
· Set reminders to be more organised;
· Working memory programmes, for example Jungle Memory or Cognifit;
· Eye tracking solutions, for example, Engaging Eyes;
· Revision solutions for example, Quizlets;
· Learn to touch type;
· Type class notes (not recommended unless excellent typist, and even then possibly not the best solution)
· Dyslexia friendly word processor, for example Clicker.