Why IT for Dyslexics?
Achieve Now is about enabling dyslexic children to reach their full academic potential, and one of the most powerful and innovative ways of doing this is through the use of dedicated IT tools. Here are a few reasons why they are so effective for children with dyslexia and other learning disabilities:
- Within a class of up to 30 it is hard for a teacher to pitch a lesson on a level that meets everyone’s needs. With IT, each child can work on their own individual program to help them fill the specific gaps in their knowledge.
- If a child is struggling to understand something, they can do the same lesson over and over again without having to admit that they don’t understand.
- IT is MUCH cheaper than paying for dyslexia-trained staff, making it attractive to budget constrained schools.
- Repetition while necessary to reinforced learning, can be very dull and time consuming. Good computer games make learning fun.
- It much easier to schedule a lesson with a laptop or iPad than a tutor with conflicting schedules and travel time restrictions.
- IT lessons are portable and can be done when and wherever suitable, for example on an iPad in the car.
- With IT, the computer is the one setting the child homework, so the parent doesn’t have to be the ‘bad guy’ nagging their child.
- The same IT solution can be used both at home and at school. This reinforces learning, and enables parents and teachers to work in partnership.
- The technology used in the business world is designed to improve efficiency for all. Dyslexics who use this technology while still at school, are equipped with skills that will put them at an advantage when entering the workplace.